Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday

Yesterday was Movie Day with The Girl (aka my daughter). We had a very nice breakfast beforehand. Because she likes scary movies, we went to see The Unborn. It wasn’t the scariest movie I’ve ever seen, but it was definitely a step in the right direction as far as “devil” movies go. It had a taste of old-school devil movies that used to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid (plus the chick was super hot). Beyond The Door is the scariest devil movie I remember seeing.

Before and after the movie The Girl and I played various video games. She mainly played Ms. Pacman, and I partook in about $6 worth of Galaga. Though not as good as I was back in the day, I still racked up the top three high scores.

We went to Best Buy, where The Girl showed off her Guitar Hero prowess. Having a bit of a foul stomach, I visited the impeccably clean bathroom. Yeah, I know – TMI. Then we went to Target and World Market before starting back to the house to drop her off. It was a very nice day. We have a date to see Inkheart in a couple of weeks. I’m looking forward to it greatly.

FEED
Here are a couple of good recipes for the few loyal blog readers I have. They’re recipes from my mom’s collection of cards. The sauce for the chicken is a very good base with a lot of possibilities for someone creative like me ;-)

CHICKEN SUPREME Serves 2
1 whole chicken breast – halved
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons dry sherry
Salt/Pepper to taste

Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350
- Sprinkle chicken with salt & pepper.
- Put in an 8” baking dish or two individual dishes, skin-side down.
- Dot top part of chicken with pieces of butter or margarine.
- Place in oven, uncovered, for 20 minutes (start sauce)
- Add mushrooms and bake for five minutes
- Add sauce and stir well to mix with pan juices & mushrooms
- Bake 5 minutes or until hot and bubbly

Sauce
- Put milk into a saucepan on medium heat.
- Stir in cornstarch until dissolved and smooth.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Sauce will become thick.
- Remove from heat.

PESTO SAUCE
1 1/2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
3 large cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper to taste

- Blend all until it becomes thick and creamy. Add more olive oil if not thick and creamy.
- Put in a big bowl (if you’re going to serve it immediately. If not, put it wherever).
- Add cooked, rotini pasta and mix well. This amount of pesto is perfect for one pound of rotini.
- Add parmesan, salt & pepper as desired.

WHAT IS THE MEANING OF COURAGE?
- Is it to fight a bull in a bullfight?
- Is it to drive a Formula One car?
- Is it to fly a fighter in combat?
- Is it to practice free-falling parachuting?
- Is it bungee jumping, wild water rafting?
- Is it to gamble your salary on a coin toss?
- Is it to insult the doorman in a bar?
- Is it to insult your boss?
- Is it to go on a defective Ferris wheel?

Quite the contrary. This is the epitome of courage.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds as you and the Girl had a fabulous day, I'm glad :)

Love from Nay

High Power Rocketry said...

: )

Anonymous said...

Ok, that's it. You posted about food again and now I'm drooling. Keep it up and I'm going to kidnap you and make you into my own personal cook, so if you get kidnapped you'll know what happened to you ;)

~Tripping

Carlos said...

Nay: We did. Glad you made it back okay dear.

R2K: :-)

Tripping: Will the pay be good? I'll cook fer ya when we come visit. And I'll take you out to that awesome restaurant nearby. Promise :-)

unokhan said...

always glad to pick up the culinary tip from you.

did i tellya my bud who loves to cook mexican sent me a big care package fulla stuffs? long live chipotles in adobo!

TC said...

I love dates with my nephew :) Glad you and The Girl had a good one too.