Wednesday, August 31, 2005

8/31 HURRICANE

After spending 21 years in the Coast Guard (I retired in 2003) it’s kinda strange to be watching a hurricane and its aftermath on television without actually being involved. Somehow, it just doesn’t seem right.

In September of 1985, I was stationed in New Jersey when Hurricane Gloria hit. Prior to hurricane Katrina, Gloria was the 13th costliest and the 16th most intense hurricane when it made landfall:







In August of 1992 I was in New Orleans when Hurricane Andrew came through:

In 1999 I was in Corpus Christi when Hurricane Bret, a category-4 hurricane with 145mph winds passed just south of the city:







I was in Corpus Christi when the South Texas floods of 1998 hit. What a mess:






I was involved in disaster preparation and relief operations for all of those storms, as were my fellow coastguardsmen.

It just doesn’t seem right to be sitting here doing nothing. Yeah, yeah. I know. I can help by donating food, money, etc. But it just isn’t the same.

At the risk of sounding corny, I’d like to say that I can’t recall ever being so proud of having served with the Coast Guard, the smallest of our nation’s five (yes, five) armed services, as I am now watching those men and women work their asses off.

Here are a few pictures of Coast Guard hurricane Katrina relief operations I grabbed off the internet. Let the copyright fags come get me if they so desire:






























There are plenty more, but I need to go eat.

Cj

4 comments:

We sing we dance we steal things said...

Hey, you don't sound corny and you have every reason to be proud. My Uncle Bill was in the Coast Guard and he will always be a hero in my eyes.
The Coast Guard see's the worst of the worst and the best of the best. They kick ass!
~Y
.PS
I was in Corpus when you were in Corpus, we are going to have to do lunch next time.

Carlos said...

Cool! I was in Corpus from 1996 until I retired in 2003. When was your uncle in?

Yes, lunch indeed. Next time you and/or your familia is in Texas, let me know and we'll do lunch, BBQ, or whatever.

I'm on Mustang Island right now. Been here since Friday night. We're staying at the Port Royal in a 3br pad with a Gulf view. Really nice place!

reneegrrrrrrrr said...

Yep, corny by no means you should be proud!!! I'm a dork and can only count 4 of the branches Army, Navy, Coast Guard & Marines, which am I forgetting?

I hope your family is having a blast on your vacation.

Love from Idaho

Carlos said...

Air Force. No sweat forgetting them though...they're the infants of the armed forces...came around only in the 40s.