Monday, October 31, 2005

THE NEXT GREAT RAPPER

The Girl went to a Halloween dance last night. Why the school decided to have it on a Sunday night is beyond me. I picked her up at a little after 9:00pm. We had a fun ride home, laughing as she shared the highlights of the dance:

Girl: “Claudia G was dancing with Logan. SLOW dancing! Yuck! Frances was dressed up like Johnny Depp’s character in ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.’ “
Dad: “It was a costume dance? What were you supposed to be?” (She’d worn some pajama bottoms and slippers.).
Girl: “I don’t know”
Girl: “You could’ve said you were Jammy Girl, a little known, obscure superhero who fights crime and the forces of evil, protected by enchanted jammies.”
Girl: [Laughter from The Girl] “I should have!”
Girl: “Dad, you should’ve seen Frances dance. It was so stupid.”
Dad: “How’d she dance.”
Girl: “I’ll show you when we get home.”
Dad: “Cool”

Then we listened to The Wild Tchoupitoulas for about 10 minutes during the rest of the drive home. Now, you might be wondering who the hell The Wild Tchoupitoulas are and what exactly a Tchoupitoula is.

Tchoupitoulas, or Chapitoulas or Choupitoulas is the old name for Metairie (me’taree), a city just a few miles west of New Orleans. The city was named after the Chapitoulas Indians of the area. Chapitoulas means “river people.”

The Wild Tchoupitoulas is a New Orleans band that started in the 70s. It was comprised of all the Neville Brothers and others.
Link
Link

The Wild Tchoupitoulas are also a Mardi Gras Indian tribe from the 13th Ward of New Orleans. When I was stationed there, I learned a lot about Mardi Gras, and that there’s a lot more to it than just wading through piss, beer and puke on Bourbon Street, although if you’ve never been to a Bourbon Street Mardi Gras, you must go at least once before you die.
Link

The whole Mardi gras Indian ritual and background is pretty cool, and many of the songs The Wild Tchoupitoulas did are about it.
Link
Link

Anyway…when we got home, The Girl showed us how Frances danced. It was hilarious. If I could get away with it, I’d have videotaped it and posted it here for your entertainment.

++++++++++

At 6:30 this morning I was still chuckling about Frances, and The Girl’s rendition of her dance. While I was refilling a cup of coffee something came to mind and I laughed out loud to myself, then headed straight to the bathroom where The Girl was primping for school.

Dad: “Yo G. I threw down a solid rap fer ya.”
Girl: [An "are you crazy" look as I set down my coffee cup]
Dad: [Complete with lame attempt at acting thug-like]
“Check it dogs how Frances Dances.”
“She moves around like there’s ants in her pantses.”

Both: [Cracking up]
Girl: [After she stopped laughing] “You’re stupid, Dad”
Dad: “Maybe so, but you’re a better person for it now aren’t you?”
Girl: “Whatever Dad.”

Should I start back on my meds?

The drive to school with the kids was fun as it is the vast majority of the time. We spend the good part of every morning laughing and cutting up like fools. It keeps a smile on my face during the course of the day.

++++++++++

Happy Hallow-fucking-ween. Not much planned for the night. The kids are “too old” to trick or treat, so they’ll be answering the door, looking down their snoots at the “little” kids begging for candy. A friend is coming over with her two kids. I’m sure the four kids will have fun toying with the "little" kids...in a nice way, of course.

++++++++++

Special Guest Quote of the Day:
Probably the worst thing about having King Kong go rampant in your town would be the huge, monster genitalia. -- Jack Handy

6 comments:

jules said...

Why would the huge monster genitallia be bad? Would it give all the guys in the city a complex?????

Carlos said...

I'm not sure about a complex, but I'm willing to bet there'd be a few black eyes and cracked skulls!

reneegrrrrrrrr said...

I'm glad you quit slacking!!!

That is funny that you have a quote from Jack Handy, I just though about adding some "Deep Thoughts from Jack Handy" to my blog.

It sounds as though you and the kids have a blast. It makes me smile to hear about it.

Love ya even though your a slacker.

;-)

rlb3773 said...

That is funny. I love to making fun of people dancing. Sounds like a pretty good rap attempt. My dad never attempted rap, but he could belt out some Freddy Fender. lol

Carlos said...

Don't get me wrong rlb, I can't rap worth a shit ;-)

I just like messing with my daughter and making her laugh, especially when she's got a mouthful of milk!

We sing we dance we steal things said...

ounds like we have a Disney Dad on our hands. I remember that all to well. Let me guess, The Warden get's to be the bad guy. I have say, it worked for us.
I am still waiting for the visor video of the cop, the donut and Cj the rapper. That's has to be good, lol.