Friday, December 23, 2005

Merry Christmas Eve Eve

Christmas Party

I had a hell of a headache this morning. I suppose there’s an off chance it could have had something to do with the bourbon I was drinking last night at the Christmas party.

The party was much fun. There were at least fifty people there of all ages and a few different nationalities, including some Iranian Americans who were big fun. The Iranian dudes were hilarious. They’ve been in the country for over thirty years and are quite Americanized, although they still have accents. They’re kids are, like, just like, uh, like regular, like kids, which is funny in contrast to their dads.

The Iranian dudes, Mosen, Hassan, Ray (not sure what his real name is) and Habib made a buttload of awesome food. They did chicken kebobs, seasoned hamburger kebobs (that were freakin’ delicious), rice, chicken soup, and some chicken wings that were orgasmic. There were heaping piles of other food as well and, of course, booze.

Our friend Rachel Smachel, as we call her, hired some Mariachis that were really, really good. They played for an hour. The music they played made me think of, and miss, my mom. It took me back many years and I had a few wonderful memories of her cooking (usually with family or friends around) and drinking wine while the old phonograph played Beny Moré (Cuban musician), an old Mexican trio called Los Tres Ases (The Three Aces) or another Mexican trio called Trio Los Panchos. If there hadn’t been so many people there, I might well have gotten a little teary. Big freakin’ baby!

The mixing of people from different cultures was fun. It also reminded me of the big mid-term or post-term parties my mom would have at the house with many of her students, from all over the world, in attendance. People shared cultural and political views, and food.

Anyway...It’s stuff like this that makes me wonder if it’s not just governments and corrupt political and fanatical religious leaders who are the ones perpetrating the hate and discontent between different cultures. I got the same feeling when visiting various countries in the Caribbean and Central America.

++++++++++

Today’s plans? Nothing. I might go to Radio Shack and buy some component video cables for our new 50” DLP HDTV. I might make some tortilla soup tonight too Robin. You want I should mail you some? ;-)

++++++++++

And what's going on with my Boston Red Sox? Johnny Damon bailed to the dreaded Yankess!!! Traitor! And for what? An extra $14M. It's a shame that so many professional athletes are lacking team/fan loyalty these days. I mean, what was Damon saying to himself? "I'm just not going to be able to make ends meet and provide for generation after generation of my descendents on $38 million freakin' dollars. Screw my team and my fans. I simply have to have $52M to make my life and the lives of my descendents complete and comfortable."

I just added him to my mental list of unappreciative, greedy millionaires.

++++++++++

I’m not feeling particularly creative or funny or entertaining right now so accept my apologies for being lame.

I may post back later....unless, of course, I’m too busy sittin’ on my ass doing nothing!!!!

++++++++++

Quote of the Day:
A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." --Jack Handey

3 comments:

Ivy the Goober said...

Glad you had fun! Merry Christmas Eve Eve to you, too!

rlb3773 said...

Man, I have a bit of a headache today myself. I think it has something to do with whiskey! Some soup would be great. Give me the recipe damn it! HURRY! Well, I gotta go make friggin pies. So hasta la vista.

We sing we dance we steal things said...

There should be a law about people having really fun parties without me. Did you get pics?
I don't have a headache, guess I best be doing some catching up.