Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Mayday, Mayday

Well, I wasn’t going to write about our government’s decision to let Dubai Ports, a company from the United Arab Emirates, run port operations at six major US ports, but I just can’t help myself. So I’ll just ramble on...without proof reading. A quick brain dump, if you will.

My opinion? It’s a horrible, unnecessary, avoidable, risky decision.

This disaster-waiting-to-happen was brought to you by: President Bush, Condoleeza Rice, Alberto Gonzales, Donald Rumsfeld, John Snow, and Michael Chertoff.

Why tempt fate? If 95% (guess) of all terrorists perpetrating violence against our country and its citizens/soldiers are Arab, why permit an Arab company to be in a strategic position in perhaps THE weakest security hole in our national security blanket – our ports?

Even worse...According to multiple sources:
1. The UAE is one of the only countries in the world that recognized the Taliban as a legitimate government. Saudi Arabia and Pakistan were the others, but they’re not on the verge of managing six major US ports.
2. Two of the 9/11 hijackers were from the UAE.
3. The UAE has been a key transfer point of illegal shipments of nuclear material to Iran, North Korea and Libya.
4. UAE banks were used as a transfer point for money destined for 9/11 hijackers.
5. The UAE did not cooperate with the Treasury Department’s attempts to find Osama Bin Laden’s bank accounts.

Let’s say that the President was 100%, double-dog sure that the UAE company would never act in any manner against the citizens or infrastructure of the United States (and there’s no way he can be). What would make him risk losing the confidence of our citizens, from both sides of the political fence, by making a decision that just doesn't feel right.

Our government has more than let us down with regard to port security (and border security) over the years...by a long shot. I am convinced that sub-standard and unacceptable port security will come back and bite us in the ass one day. I can see the knee-jerk reaction now.

If Congress pushes some legislation through to stop this madness, and then overrides a presidential veto, I may just regain a little of my lost faith in our politicians.

I may write a more detailed, less-rambly post later.

4 comments:

Whistler71 said...

I just posted on the same thing awhile ago! Disgraceful, huh?

We sing we dance we steal things said...

Thanks for another great post Cj, keep it coming. Have you seen Bill Oriely do his take on this story? I was appalled. It made me want to vomit, hearing the shit spew from his mouth. The Bush regime reminds me of a nightmare, I feel like I'm screaming and no sounds coming out.

StringMan said...

Really, I just don't get it at all. This is exactly what I would have expected JOHN KERRY to do, not Dubya. I'm stumped.

Sheesh. As Inspector Javert says in Les Miserables, "The world is inside out, the world is upside down!"

Go figure.

Carlos said...

Whistler: It is a disgrace and very disheartening to me. Hell, let’s let North Korea come in and start running the border checkpoints on the Mexican border.

Y: You’re very welcome. I’d hoped to put together something a little more organized, but I watched movies with the kids and didn’t have the time, so I just rambled. I like your scream analogy. I can’t help but wonder if Bush wishes he were king, and not the president of the word’s largest democracy.

Stringman: I never expected that anyone born and raised in the United States with more than two brain cells and a lick of common sense would’ve done something like this. Terrible decision. Absolutely terrible. And I really will hate to be the one that says “I told you so” when something bad happens as a result of this decision if it goes through.