Thursday, February 16, 2006

Mussed Gro Brane

[Update 2/18/06 12:00pm CST] I neglected to indicate….The news story was actually about a high school that had their IT department block MySpace. The student was making a lame attempt at convincing viewers that it was a good resource that high school students should be allowed to use at school. I think not.

Thursday morning I was Blogging and watching CBS morning news. I was treated to yet another knee-jerk reaction to myspace.com and all the dangers it poses to our youth. (Who, pray tell, is just now realizing the hazards the internet poses to children?)

During the piece, a pimplefacedteeniebopper (a junior or senior) got about 10 seconds of potential fame. Instead of using the moment to shine and impress someone besides mommy and granny, the girl informed the viewing public that the MySpace web site was “a really good resource.”

Riiiggghht. Resource? Resource for what honey? Posers pretending to be celebrities? Hormone-oozing teens? Trailer park MILFs posing in too-revealing attire?

It was a shame. The girl actually looked and sounded somewhat intelligent until the “really good resource” came out of her pie hole.

MySpace really is rife with poo. Don’t believe me? If not, maybe you’ll believe Webmiztris. Check her post about MySpace. Of particular interest is Kevin Federline’s MySpace page. Check it out, then do a little browsing around and come back and tell me I’m wrong about the morning news show brain surgeon to be.

++++++++++

Willie Nelson released a "gay cowboy song" on Valentine’s Day.

There are already groups, which I haven’t been able to find, that are calling for a ban on one thing or another associated with the song. Maybe a ban on the song ... or a ban on country music...or gay country music...or gay cowboys singing any form of country music...Or gay country musicians sodomizing one another while listening to and singing along with old Conway Twitty 8-tracks. Hell, I don’t know. That’s just what I heard on the news, and I don’t feel inclined to waste more of my time than I already have seeking out these morons who have visions of theocratic control of our country and its people.

++++++++++

Now from a couple of songs of the moment:

Backdoor Cowboy

Cheney's Got a Gun

++++++++++

Memories Du Jour:


Going to Cowtown and the Cowtown Rodeo in southern New Jersey with The Warden back in ’86 or ’87 and how both of us though we’d time warped back to Texas or Arizona. Here was a real shit kickin’ gig in fuckin’ New Jersey, complete with a dairy (with excellent ice cream and a fake cow to pose with/on for photos!), flea market, trailer trash, a rodeo, and plenty of horse/cow shit! It was much fun!

Going (also with The Warden) to Brownie’s Lodge on Bargaintown Rd in Linwood, NJ. It was an awesome joint that took us both somewhere other than NJ. On Sundays they had music inside and out with a big concrete dance floor. The bands played country & rock music. The crowd was way diverse – Oldsters, youngsters, us in our mid 20s, bikers, yuppies, etc. Everyone was there to dance, socialize, drink beer and eat burgers, chicken, clams, crabcakes, barbecued brisket, etc., from the outdoor kitchen. Here are the only pictures I could find on the internet about Brownie’s: The Collar Brothers web site. They pics don't do the joint justice. It really was a cool, cool place and, when we were there, we weren’t in Joisy.

++++++++++

Quote of the Day:
"He was a state sponsor of terror. In other words, the government had declared, you are a state sponsor of terror." —George W. Bush, on Saddam Hussein, Manhattan, Kan., Jan. 23, 2006

13 comments:

Whistler71 said...

Damn Carlos, you busted me! I have a profile on myspace and I like it! Nothing good has came of it, but I have found many old friends on there!
I have a huge love for Willie Nelson..

We sing we dance we steal things said...

I checked out My Space. It's messed up. Early & I were talking last week about these kids not being able to have functioning work / friendship / lover, relationships as they get older. They're learning social skills from 7th grade through high school over the Internet. What are they going to do when they hit the job scene in the real world, & don't know how to read facial expressions, because all they have seen of their 12,000 friends are smiling pictures. I could go on, and on.

reneegrrrrrrrr said...

I also have a place at myspace. My nephew encouraged me to join so I did. I never go there because I find our blogging community to be more my thing, while my nephew finds myspace to be more his thing.

I haven't read Webmiztris blog yet for some reason it isn't connecting but I don't see any harm in it, it is a blog. Like Madmans said " A good source for BS..."

reneegrrrrrrrr said...

Is anyone else getting a blank page on webmiztris blog?

Carlos said...

All: I suppose I should have re-read my post before posting it. The news story was actually about a high school that had their IT department block MySpace. The student was making a lame attempt at convincing viewers that it was a good resource that high school students should be allowed to use at school. I think not. [sigh]

I didn’t intend to imply that all users of the space were dirtbags, posers, losers, dweebs and the like. Just that, generally speaking the site as a whole leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyway…that’s about all the back-pedaling I’m gonna do. It’s not something I do very well or often. So I’m done, fuckes!! :-)

Whistler: Aha! You’re one of the exceptions! I think Nay and I got back in touch with each other on an old Delphi forum. Come to think of it, I can’t think of any other people I care to get back in touch with, except maybe a couple whose asses I’d like to kick! :-)

Madman: Yours is a good source of fun for sure. I’ll concede that there are indeed some blogger beauties on some Myspace pages. :-)

Y: You guys hit the nail right on the head. There are a LOT of kids who would rather do group IMing with all their buddies than go out with just a few. Fortunately, The Girl isn’t among them. She likes to chat on line (which we monitor), but she’s not so wrapped up in it she doesn’t like to go to friends’ houses or to the mall or to movies with her friends.

Nay: Not sure why you can’t get to Webmiztris’s page. I got to it okay just now. Something must be out of synch in Potatoland ;-)

Webmiztris said...

wait, are you saying there are NON-gay cowboy songs? j/k ;)

there is definitely no need for high schoolers to be on MySpace... that's ridiculous! Everyone who graduated before, what, LAST YEAR got by without it....give me a break!

It's a good resource for getting laid, that's about it...

thanks for the link!

We sing we dance we steal things said...

I don't have a problem with adults being on the Internet / My space, whatever. I have a problem with parents that don't monitor their kids online and use the Internet as a baby sitter. Some of these kids aren't getting any socialization skills. In a few more years they're going to be shooting people in the face. LOL.

jules said...

Carlos, baby...these are our future leaders! When I look at the crop I'm working with right now, I can only hope I'll be dead before they start running the country.

reneegrrrrrrrr said...

Carlos, I finally got webmizstris's page to load here in potatoland but I can't find a post abut myspace? could you link it for me please. Thanks

rlb3773 said...

I also have a my space. It took me along time to get into it. Now that I have......I have ran into many friends. I can however, see where it should have some age limits. There are some pretty graphic photos.

Anyway, Hi!

We sing we dance we steal things said...

Ney
It's the first or second post down. It took me a couple trys to get in also ; }

reneegrrrrrrrr said...

Thanks ~Y~ but I have now looked at least four times for the post and can't find it. But she does have a really cute pair of shoes she just bought on todays post.

StringMan said...

A friend's mother (who's in her 70s) is a computer geek and went on myspace and somehow found her grandson's and granddaughter's myspace pages, and was so upset by what she saw, she "divorced" them both. Wrote 'em out of the will. It's nasty on there.

I love the Cheney's Got A Gun song.