Sunday, February 12, 2006

Spaz

Back spasms, that is.

I fell asleep on the couch Friday night and have been paying for it ever since. The two muscles on either side of my spine are very tight and tensed up, about halfway between my shoulder blades and my waist. I tried heat, a hot bath, and stretching, but none of it worked, so I broke down and took a muscle relaxer. My old friend Cyclobenzaprene will make it alllll beeetttterrr. That and the little glass of Bacardi Gold, straight up of course, will make for a good slumber and squishy muscles. unfortunately, it’ll make my squishy brained in the morning. Nothing too bad, but I’ll be a little slower than I ordinarily am.

++++++++++

I’ve been watching the Olympics all weekend. I was never much of a winter sports fanatic, unless you count drunk/stoned tubing in an abandoned rock quarry. I do like watching the Olympics a great deal though. What I don’t like is all the cutesy interviewing, profiling and analyzing that goes on in between what everyone is really tuning in to watch – The competition. I think it’s a safe bet that people are tuning into NBC or MSNBC to watch Olympic competition, not to listen to some idiot do a lame-ass, “educational” piece on the luge. I wish I’d had the presence of mind to note the guy’s name and/or play it back on the DVR to record his words forever in my little Blog here.

Right now they’re profiling snowboarder Shaun White, his family, his background and his rise to Olympic prominence. Sure, Mr. White is a good boarder (and skateboarder), but I couldn’t care less to watch his life story on a broadcast that should be showing the competition. And who could possibly care (minus his parents) if the guy has “rubbed elbows with Lindsay Lohan,” as they dutifully reported a minute ago?

To the NBC decision-making simpletons: Dispense with the bullshit. Show competition. If you simply must do the cutesy shit, do it on MSNBC or make it available on your web site. Better yet, start a channel that does nothing but run athlete profiles. You could even do an “Athlete Profiles On Demand” channel. Yeah, do that, and then put a few Nielsen rating boxes in some houses. I’ll betcha a shiny nickel that the ratings will be hovering on ZERO.

++++++++++

Memory Du Jour:
When I was 5 and 6 years old, we lived in Inglewood, California. Back then it was a nice, quiet, green, pretty neighborhood. It’s not so nice a neighborhood nowadays, but I have a ton of really nice memories of the two houses we lived in there. The 2nd house we lived in had a number of fruit trees in the big back yard. I remember wandering the yard picking apricots, peaches, plums, little sour apples, grapes and some other fruits I can’t recall. How cool it was to sit down in the lush, green grass to eat the smorgasbord of fruit on cool, Southern California days.

++++++++++

Quote of the Day:
To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other. – Jack Handey

5 comments:

StringMan said...

Good luck with the spasms. I've been disabled by them at times. People who don't experience them just don't understand. And good point about the cutesy stuff on NBC - right, put it on MSNBC.

reneegrrrrrrrr said...

I agree with the cutsey crap too. I love watching the Olympic competitons (the only sports I care to watch besides strongman competition and boxing) but I tend to miss quite a bit cause I surf during the fluff and get stuck elsewhere and forget to go back.

Thanks for blogging even during your spaz times. :)

We sing we dance we steal things said...

Ohhh Cj, I feel for U. Hope it gets better soon. Don't worry about moving a little slower tomorrow, enjoy it. I love those days, I see a lot that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

Ivy the Goober said...

I lived in California for three months growing up. Our house had a lemon tree and an almond tree in the front yard. I was 3rd grade, and I remember just being AMAZED that something like that could be in my yard - instead of at the store. I have no memory at all of the backyard for some reason.

We sing we dance we steal things said...

CJ
Where's my post about the VP's boo boo. I'll keep checking back...