Thursday, February 09, 2006

Idle Time

I’ve been idle here for over a week now, and it’s pretty damned perplexing to me that I haven’t found anything worth writing about. Actually, I’ve seen and heard plenty I’d like to write about, I just can’t seem to find the time to sit down and put the fingers to the keyboard.

++++++++++

Last night The Boy and I watched a few minutes of the Grammy Awards show. The only thing that stood out was how bad Kanye West sucked. I mean this guy really, really sucked. I think I saw him on SNL a few months ago and he really, really sucked there too.

I just don’t get the whole gangsta rap thing or how it can be categorized as music. Some of the lyrics are clever and all that, but most of it’s crap, and very little of it deserves to be categorized as music; not by a long shot.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s some clever rap/hiphop out there that actually sounds like music and has interesting/fun lyrics but, like I said, most of it’s crap.

One of the funniest rapper dudes I’ve heard before is Afroman. The guy’s pretty very crude in some of his songs, but his lyrics/rhymes are very clever. Besides, he’s anti-establishment and doesn’t care much for the recording industry or his fellow rap artists.

One thing I’ve stressed to my kids over the years regarding music is that you can like any music you want, but if you really want to know how talented a particular musician or group is, listen to them live. That is the only way to truly judge a musician. If they sound like talentless, tone-deaf wannabes during a live performance, that’s exactly what they are.

The Boy understands that and has embraced it. The Girl, on the other hand, has some learnin’ to do!

Anyway....I could go on and on about music and how crappy pop music is today, but I need to get ready for work.

++++++++++

The local news is reporting an overnight stabbing at a “cabaret.” I thought they called them strip clubs, topless clubs or titty bars. Cabaret? Give me a break!

++++++++++

Memory Du Jour:
In 4th grade I was running across the playground. When I ran by John Johnson, he hit me square in the gut with a white sock full of sand. It knocked the wind out of me and, to this day, I have no idea why he did it. John, I will find you one day; and I will lock you in a little room and make you listen to live recordings of Kanye West until your ears bleed.

++++++++++

Quote of the Day:
If you are a happy employee does that make you gruntled? -- Jack Handey

15 comments:

StringMan said...

Very good point on the live music. You can take it even a step further: live and without the cover of a back-up band. Solo performers with just one instrument (piano or guitar for example) playing have little to hide behind. Most rappers also tend to romp the stage, giving them even more to hide behind.


John Johnson beware :)

rlb3773 said...

Hey, I know a guy named John Johnson. He can be a bit of a butthole. He kicked his best friends ass this past year and tried to rip his eyeballs out. I think he is now on probation!

Kanye West has MAJOR attitude.

You cannot really tell if a band has any talent these days when seeing them live. There is so much electronic shit involved. They can make anyone sound talented. I think you have to see them at a bar or unplugged to know if they have any actual talent and are not just good looking!

Anyway, I know where John Johnson lives. You just let me know when you are ready for your revenge....lol

reneegrrrrrrrr said...

Kayne West is a fag, he made me think of Michael Jackson with his stupid gloves and then he did a glove change during the show, FAG!!!

p.s., not that I have anything against fags...

Carlos said...

Stringman: Thanks. I think it is too. There sure aren’t too many pop musicians/artists/bands/whatever that can perform worth a shit live. There are even fewer who can do it solo. I can deal with a crappy rapper if they have something clever, smart, true to say. The rap he did last night, “Gold Digger” is a real piece of shit. Here’s some of his clever lyrical work:

CHORUS
(She did me wrong
Now I aint sayin she a gold digger (When I'm Need)
But she aint messin wit no broke niggaz
(She did me wrong)
Now I aint sayin she a gold digger (When I'm need)
but she aint messin wit no broke niggaz
get down girl go head get down (I gotta leave)
get down girl go head get down (I gotta leave)
get down girl go head get down (I gotta leave)
get down girl go head


A FEW REFRAINS DOWN (Dig the lame “Tyco” rhyme attempt”)
18 years, 18 years
She got one of yo kids got you for 18 years
I know somebody payin child support for one of his kids
His baby momma's car and crib is bigger than his
You will see him on TV Any Given Sunday
Win the Superbowl and drive off in a Hyundai
She was spose to buy ya shorty TYCO with ya money
She went to the doctor got lypo with ya money
She walkin around lookin like Michael with ya money
Should of got that insured got GEICO for ya moneeey
If you aint no punk holla We Want Prenup
WE WANT PRENUP!, Yeaah
It's something that you need to have
Cause when she leave yo ass she gone leave with half
18 years, 18 years
And on her 18th birthday he found out it wasn't his


Anyway....I have a feeling I’m preachin’ to the choir.

RLB: If your John Johnson lived in Southern California in 1969/1970, tell him I’m comin’ for him. And I’m gonna get payback for his best friend just for GP!

R: Yes, he is a fag; a gay, fruity, flaming prancing fag. Not that there’s anything wrong with that ;-)

Whistler71 said...

I have to honest up and say that I love the song "Gold Digger", actually I posted it on the blog. As far as Kanye goes, he is a bit fruity. I love rap music and have for many years. Hell I love most music! Now I will wait for the stones to be thrown...

We sing we dance we steal things said...

Rap music.... BARF!
It took me months to get Ney to even let me play Kid Rock in my car. That's as Rap as it gets round here. I don't get where the talent is. I can make up yo bitch rhymes and point at my crotch all day, and straight without booze to boot. Quick someone get me an agent!
I thought music had something to do with having a nice singing voice, or being able to play an instrument. Goes to show what I know...
We would never throw stones at you Whistler : }

Ivy the Goober said...

Carlos, I'm having trouble writing lately, too. With me, time is only part of my excuse. Lack of desire to write is most of my problem. I'm thinking of stealing your "memory du jour" idea. Except it may be the only thing posted as I don't feel like writing anything above it. They remind me of how my daughter for many years when she was little, instead of wanting me to read a bedtime story, would say, "tell me a story about 3rd grade"

rlb3773 said...

Isn't Gold Digger a Ray Charles song that Kanye added lyrics too?? I actually like the song, necause of the beat.......not the lyrics. It just makes you wanna dance around like an idiot..lol.

We do know the same John Johnson. What are the chances?

rlb3773 said...

Fuck.....because

Carlos said...

Whistler: Say it ain’t so...Say it ain’t so Kimbolicious! Just kidding. I can appreciate anyone’s likes/dislikes...even if they like listening to talentless rappers ;-)
I don’t’ know if you’ve ever seen Kanye live before, but if you haven’t you need to. He sucks. Really. And that’s coming from a WAY open-minded person. Thanks for being woman enough to admit you like him. I can respect that in a chickie. :-)

Y: Yeah...rap is pretty much shit. I do like some of the raps that the Black Eyed Peas do though. They’re quite a talented bunch. And there are a few others that are mildly entertaining.

The “thug” “gansta” shit sucks donkey though. There’s a song out there called “The Whisper Song” that really sucks the big, stinky maid ass. The Girl was listening to it on the radio one day and the obnoxious, lame ass bass line caught my attention (kinda like a hemorrhoid). One of the lines reads, “Wait ‘til you see my oh....” Which translates in the uncut version to, “Wait ‘til you see my dick.” Nice. After I looked into the lyrics, the song was banned in the house, clean version or not. Here’s a link to the genius lyrical works.

Some rap has a place in the world of art; maybe not in the musical world, but from a lyrical perspective. Some of it’s funny and/or very clever. But the vast majority of the pop shit is just that – Shit.

Ivy: Steal the Memory Du Jour idea, by all means. I just came to me one day because I couldn’t think of anything particularly interesting to post. Kinda like filler. Now I like doing it. Besides, it helps conjure memories for my memoirs, which I’m writing for my kids to read after I’m dead and gone. As with having kids, it’s kind of another way of achieving a sense of immortality.

Off to watch My Name is Earl

Carlos said...

Are you shittin' me Robin? Where'd he live?

Webmiztris said...

The only Kanye song I know is Gold Digger, which I have to admit I REALLY like, but I've never heard anything else. I didn't watch the Grammy's. I was too busy watching men take off their clothes at the time. ;)

jules said...

I must be gruntled, cuz I'm loving my job right now. Except for the booger terrorists!

reneegrrrrrrrr said...

You at least need to post a memory, please.

Sorry, who am I to harrass one to post.

But what the hell fuckin post something Carlos. You last posted on Thursday!!!!

What a slacker :)

I love you!!!

Whistler71 said...

OK Carlos, I saw a post Grammy thing on the news and they showed Kanye singing the song, it just sucked!!! Just thought I would let you know that. Hope you are doing good!!!!