Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Uncle Sam Ain't so Bad

Well, it turns out that Uncle Sam doesn’t think I’m his type. What was going to be the financial butt raping of my lifetime turned into nothing but a $1K CPA fee and some good ol’ fashioned sweat on the part of our attorney.

The attorney is an old family friend – The daughter of one of my mom’s old high school chums. Any ideas what might be a nice “Thank You” token of appreciation? Gift certificate? Something else? Somehow hank you just doesn’t seem sufficient.

++++++++++

THE GREAT WHERE’S CARLOS GOING BINGO EXTRAVAGANZA
No: North Pole
Dawn: “…even further north than the shithole I live in!”
Bunny/Early: Northeast.

And the winner is….
“No” Who guessed “North Pole.”
You need to drop a name…”no”just ain’t cuttin’ it.

The actual destination was Anchorage Alaska. The

That’s right, “was.” A bean counting snafu forced the change. The next contest will be posted as soon as I pick an alternate location out of the list. If it’s a place near my buddies, I’ll be sure to hit you up via email!

++++++++++

Do any of you work with men who are absolutely fascinated with Dancing With the $tars? There are three who I work with who are like three cackling old battle axes yippin’ about soap operas. It drives me up a fucking wall: “Oooh. Did you hear the rumor about Mario getting married?” or “Who’d you vote for last night?” or “So and so was so good. That couple looked like they were both professional dancers.”

Another coworker and I are about to snap! We talk about football or monster truck rallies to offset the fruitiness of three grown heterosexual men getting off to a dancing show.

Don’t get me wrong now. I don’t care that they watch it, and I can appreciate someone’s dancing talents; but I just don’t get the schoolgirl infatuation with the show. It gives me the fucking willies listening to them giggle and get all excited about it!

++++++++++

Memory du Jour:
Fiesta San Antonio, 1987
It was my first Fiesta. I was at the Market Square with The Warden and some of her family. As one might expect, I was sporting a respectable buzz. At some point we saw a guy walk by with a big jalapeño piñata hat on his melon. Being the Fiesta Newb of the group, I was ripe prey. The Warden and her family convinced me to buy one of ‘em and wear it around. And so I walked around the Market Square lookin’ like a big ol’ out of town dork (“shoobie” or “shoob” for you folks who’ve spent time in South Jersey). It makes for a good laugh to this day. Oh, to top it off a bird shit on my back and no one told me until I got home! And I married this Woman? :-)

Quote of the Day:
"You're one of the outstanding leaders in a very important part of the world. I want to thank you for strategizing our discussions." —George W. Bush at a meeting with the prime minister of Malaysia, New York, N.Y., Sept. 18, 2006

Link du Jour:
http://urbanboomer.com/library.php

Graphic du Jour:
I know I've posted this before, but I love this shirt.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

now, remind me. WHY are you going to Archorage? are you CRAZY? lol

i read some blogs where guys are going on about Dancing With The Stars and shows like that. it makes me laugh my ass off! if my husband was blogging about his love for Dancing With The Stars? I'd be nervous. lol

Margaret said...

Great to hear the CPA helped out. We've found it so much better just to go to ours each year and drop everything off to him. I tried doing it myself for a few years thinking I would save money and I was soooo wrong.

I watched the Dancing with the Stars just to check out Tucker Carlson and Joe Scarborough tumble over themselves. After that - it wasn't fun anymore. Springer is a trip - but I figure heck - I can watch his performance on YouTube the next day so why sit for the whole shoe.

No said...

I won, I won, I won!!!!!!!!

What did I win?

jules said...

Where's the picture of you in the pepper hat?

Carlos said...

WebMiz: I'm not going to Anchorage after all. :-( I actually wanted to go!

Margie: Great is the understatement of the year! I'll be having a CPA do my taxes next year.

No: Prize? Shit. I knew I forgot to plan for something!

Jules: We were wondering the same thing. Someone in The Warden's family has one, but we don't know who! I know we don't have one. The minute I get one I'll post it!

We sing we dance we steal things said...

We're so glad you didn't get seriously bent over in your dealings with Uncle Sam. He's one greedy bastard, especially when you're not one of his good ol boy corporate buddies.
We always give our female biz associates that go over the top for us a massage gift certificate, sometimes a certificate for The Bon. Both seem very much appreciated.
I cant believe you're going to the Alaska in the fall! You better post with pics when you get there.