Sunday, December 11, 2005

If You Like M&Ms....

We went out to dinner yesterday evening.

The Warden
Baby back ribs
Beer

Carlos
Spicy Thai dish
Bourbon on the rocks

The Boy
Salmon
Coke

The Girl
Pork tenderloin
Coke

Appetizers
Onion rings
Calamari

The Boy was in rare form last night. He must be secretly attending comedian school because he really cracked us up. I wish I’d had a tape recorder, because the tone of voice was priceless. Here are a couple of gems from last night:

We’re eating our appetizers when The Girl starts asking me about giant squid.

TG: “Has anyone ever caught a live giant squid?”
CJ: “No. Only dead ones as far as I know.”
TG: “Do giant squids live way down in the pitch black.”
CJ: “Yep. Most of the time.”
TB: “Yeah, it’s a little place they like to call home.”

Later, after the plates arrive....The Girl’s plate included some bok choy, which The Boy and I love. The girl is very picky with her vegetables and she loves candy, which made this next one all the funnier.

TG: “Dad, what’s this stuff?”
CJ: “Bok choy. Try it. It’s really good here.”
TB: “If you like M&Ms, you’ll love bok choy.

++++++++++



1983 (CJ, Max, the cab driver, Geroge, Travis)
On the pier in Port Au Prince, Haiti. This picture was taken following a trip to the Barbancourt rum factory in the rain forest. The doofy hats were purchased from the street merchants who lurked outside the factory, waiting for drunken Americans to emerge.

The winding roads to the rum factory are not unlike the logging roads of the NW (Bunny/Early: Ain't they fun to drive!?). We came around one corner and saw a soldier of the Tonton' target=_blank>Tonton Macoute level an M-1 carbine at the car. Max, the cab driver, didn't stop. The three of us in the back seat about crapped our pants. Max laughed and told us that they don't shoot, but if you stop, they rob you. Nice!


1984
Mike, Nay, Bucketmouth and I did a road trip to Oak Creek Canyon. This was taken in Jerome.



1984 (same trip)
This was the picnic site right on Oak Creek.

We waded across the cold creek to get there, and then cooked burgers, lounged around all day and drank 151 and Coke. For some reason I think we were hung over as well.

++++++++++

Dubya Quote of the Day:
“One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.”
–U.S. News and World Report, 1/3/2000

7 comments:

Ivy the Goober said...

I love those fun conversations with the kids. And they just keep getting better and better. Now that one has moved out, when we all get together now, they love to talk about things they've gotten away with. Wait, shouldn't that wait until they've BOTH moved out?

reneegrrrrrrrr said...

LOL, the boy was on a roll.

I, like Dubya, enjoy picture books.

LOL, I like what you did with Renee in the first pic. I remember that trip (and the clothes), we had a blast. If I knew where all my pictures of I could post a few pics of the same trip. Not sure if hey are copies of yours or if I had my own camera of different pics.

Love ya!

We sing we dance we steal things said...

Hey,,,, I don't recall Bucketmouth (love that name) having a red line through the center of her face. I like it.
Dinner sounded great. You guys get all the good food.
Just how many trips did you take to the rum factory Cj? And why does George look like a girl to me?
Loved the pics!

reneegrrrrrrrr said...

I thought the same thing ~Y~, I'm becoming really suspicious of Carlos and the so called time he spent in the Coast Guard.

It appears as though word verification could be sending us a message, I'm just not sure what the message is, gosh I wsih I had more training in secret messages: yuctwrg

reneegrrrrrrrr said...

Cj, we need an answer to ~Y~'s question, "why does George look like a girl to me" & how many trips did you take to the rum factory, but most important "why does George look like a girl to me".

Love ya babe!

Carlos said...

The dinner was really nice. The comedy made it all the better!

R: I think all the pictures from the Oak Creek trip were taken on my camera. I’m not sure if I gave you originals or copies so feel free to post if you find any! That pic of you (with bucketmouth) is one of my faves of you. One day I’ll sit down and Photoshop Bucketmouth out of it.

Y: I’m not sure why good ol’ George looks like a girl. The dude was about as redneck, macho and heterosexual as a guy can get. Maybe after all the years of growing up in Woodville, Mississippi, under the thumb of a hypermacho father, he decided it was time to get in touch with his feminine side! I made two visits to the rum factory, but I swear no torrid gay butt sex took place!

reneegrrrrrrrr said...

Hey I cropped her out and emailed it to you.