Saturday, December 10, 2005

The New Car

To say the boy was happy about his new car is, oh, just a bit of an understatement. He’s always been the silent type, but the look on his face and the “thank you” he blurted out almost involuntarily was priceless.

Even The Girl was happy. The gleam in her eye betrayed the visions in her head of the two of them driving to and from school, to the mall, to the movies, etc.

We went to see The Chronicles of Narnia after the unveiling of the car. The theater was packed so the four of us were split up. The Boy and I got stuck in the third row from the front. I usually don’t like being so close, but it was okay. The movie was a bit of a slow starter, but I thought it was good once it got going. Excellent special effects.

++++++++++



This is a test strip from photography class in 1978 or 1979.

Hot Sue ended up getting married to one of the teachers in high school. I saw her again in 1996 at Fry's Supermarket. I didn't even recognize her. Not even an inkling. She'd gained at least two hundred pounds.











I think I was 16 in this picture and still playing baseball. My cousin (cropped for his protection) and I were doing an L.A. Dogdgers baseball camp in California. The pic was after a long day at camp and was taken at my aunt & uncle's house in Santa Monica.

No smart remarks please! There was a perfectly legitimate reason for the fruity pose, I just can't remember what it was!




This is a 1990 picture of me and Nay at my ten year high school reunion. I was robbed of the "traveled longest distance to get here" award. Some geek who'd come from South Carolina won it. I'd traveled from Boston. Go figure. And the guys who figured the award were the "smart" ones in high school! In protest, we beat on the table top, chanting, "bullshit, bullshit, bullshit..." It didn't do any good though.

Afterward we went to someone's hotel room and partied some more. It was kinda funny when a few cheerleaders who, back in high school, wouldn't be caught dead with our crowd, showed up to join the party. Guess the finally figured out who the fun people were!

Now, as a public service, I'll post a few of Nay:

The next three pictures were taken at Saguaro Lake in AZ. I think it was 1981 or 1982. If recall correctly, she hated the hair style. I kinda liked it.


A tired stretch after getting to the lake. I'm not sure, but I think this was a morning trip to the lake after a night of partying.



I can't remember why, but Nay was dancing. Still feeling the affects of the night before no doubt.



++++++++++


Quote of the Day:
“Arbolist...Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” --As quoted in USA Today, August 21, 2001

5 comments:

jules said...

C'mon, it's not fair to tell us not to say something about the fruity pose, Carlos. I might explode if I have to keep it in.

reneegrrrrrrrr said...

Carlos, I'm getting to wonder about you with the fruity pose and prior pics you have posted?

Are you going to post a pic of the car to share with your blogger buddies and I want cake too.

I don't recognize the test strip girl, what is her last name and what teacher did she marry?

I don't remember that trip to Saguaro (sp?) Lake was it just you and I? or was there a caravan of us? I remember your cute little car. I hated the hair, the stupid hair dresser screwed up the trim job I went in for and came out with crocked short hair so they attempted to fix it and gave me a poodle do that had to be cut out and this pic looks as though it has grown out quite a bit. I don't even remember my shirt, and I have a weird memory for my clothes. Please give me more info on our trip so I can try to conjure a memory.

Have an awsome weekend dear!

Whistler71 said...

Carlos, thanks for posting the pictures! Also, congrats on the new ride, let's hope he takes care of it! Robin and I rolled my car over and over again after I stood up this albino guy from Pville. It looks like you all had way too much fun and it makes me happy that yall still keep in touch!

Carlos said...

Jules: Try...try very hard :-)

R: I'll try to get a pic of the car up soon. Test strip girl was Sue Peterson. I don't remember the teacher's name....I'll try to though. She was involved with that teacher back when I was a freshman at PHS. You want I should save you the last piece of cake? You could stop by on your way to FLA. Might be pretty nasty by then though.

I don't remember much about the Saguaro trip either. All I remember is that it was a morning trip...and when we got there we were both kinda like, "Now what?" We hung out for a short time and left. I remember nothing else except that we were hungover.

Whistler: You're welcome. I'm glad we're all in touch too. Nay & I lost touch for a few years which saddened me a great deal. Then she found me on some high school reunion web site. I hope to stay in touch with her until we're both toothless and senile :-)

We sing we dance we steal things said...

You two looked really spiffy in the reunion pic. Ney always knows he perfect thing to wear.
I told Early a few days ago that high school teachers have always slept with their students. They just recently started getting arrested for it. Thanks for making my point.