Saturday, February 17, 2007

Gushers and Graduates

VALENTINE SURPRISE
So much for my Valentines Day post. The Warden went out and surprised me. When she left for work that morning I was at the Command Center, driving the computer. When I left for work, I found this waiting next to my bag.

IT'S A GUSHER!
The Warden made hamburgers Sunday night. I was in charge of cutting up the potatoes for french fries. Everything was going as planned until just a few seconds after we put the fries in the deep fryer.
More

THE GRADUATE

The Warden graduated with her Bachelors degree on Friday!

She worked a long time to get that fucker. Much of it was done while I was away, so she was working full time, taking care of a house, taking care of kids (sports, school, recreation, etc.), and taking up to three classes (four once) at a time. Simply amazing. She usually minimizes her accomplishments, but I certainly don’t. She’s got the energy of a two-year-old and the drive of a stallion after a mare in heat…and she’s five years older than I am. She makes me feel old sometimes!

BORN TOO LATE
A girlfirend of ours called on Saturday. She wasn’t home of course. Saturdays are running-around days. Somehow we got onto the subject of independent and strong-minded women. I joked that I’d been born 25 years too late, and I could envision myself living in the day of the stay-at-home mom; taking one of those old steel lunchboxes to work, coming home to a piping hot dinner followed by some old television show and steamy sex; then waking up to my work clothes ironed and ready to wear.

The friend’s laughter snapped me out of it ;-) We had a good laugh and agreed that today’s woman is just fine. Most of ‘em anyway.

CHANGING TIMES
Scenario: Carlos gives his sixth grade homeroom teacher a bottle of Gran Marnier for Christmas (I really did)

1973: The teacher thanks Carlos profusely because that is her favorite liqueur. She hugs him and tells him she is touched that he remembered her mentioning that to the class months ago.

2007: Carlos is pinched by school security guards; expelled from school; no one believes it was a gift for his teacher; made to attend AA meetings. Teacher is fired for “inappropriate touching” and for talking about after dinner liqueurs in class.

MULTIMEDIA DU JOUR
Music
I remember cruising through some CD aisle quite a few years ago, seeing a CD, and saying to myself, "What kind of name is Butthole Surfers for a band?" I didn't give it much thought after that. Then the other day The Girl and I were talking about band names and it came up. She'd never heard of them either but, as I do, she liked some of their songs. Here are two that I like:

Dracula From Houston
Pepper

Photo
The Boy found this in the paper last year. I might've already posted it, but it's worth another.


6 comments:

Webmiztris said...

omg, that pic is funny!

congrats to your wife!

that grand marnier experience? you are TOTALLY right! everything is a big fucking deal anymore...except, of course, the things that SHOULD be a big fucking deal. *sigh*

jules said...

You mean my students can bring me massive amounts of tequila? Dammit, why am I working so hard for this then?

Arlene said...

Your Valentine surprise is adorable. Your hunny must love you :-)

Ewww, oil everywhere! I'd sell and start over ;-)

CONGRATS to your wife!!!!! She deserves much kudos!!!!!!

Miss Cellania said...

Congratulations to the Warden!

Whats going on here? You have another blog just for pictures, and another blog yet to continue longer stories?

And your family must've really thought a lot of that teacher. Grand Marnier (which I thought was Grandma Yay when I got my first order for it) is tres expensive!

Carlos said...

WebMiz: I thought the same thing. I wonder if my son was the only one on the face of the planet to notice that damned picture!

Jules: If they ain’t you aren’t doin’ it right ;-)

Arlene: I thought the same thing. What a nice surprise it was. And yes, The Warden deserves a bunch of kudos.

Miss Cellania: I’ll pass that on to The Warden. And yes…other blogs…just os my main posts aren’t so cluttered and blah, blah, blah. The teach was awesome. I actually emailed her last year to tell her as much. She was floored that I found her, and said that if just one student told her something like that it was all worth it.

We sing we dance we steal things said...

I got in!!!
Times they have changed and sadly not for the better. I watched a movie the other day and this little girl was playing in the front yard in one of those little blue plastic pools. It's been a long time since I've seen little kids playing in the front yard doing anything. Parents raise them to stay in the house, be lazy and get fat. So sad!
Congratulations Warden, we're very proud of you. Go girl!